- Gen Y or Generation Why They Give
The members of Generation Y were born between 1977 and 1998. Three of them grew up in my house, so I have a fair sense of what makes . . . . .
- Op Ed: The Times
Making an Impact One Text at a Time
We offer the expertise, resources and personalized attention to help your nonprofit organization realize its full potential. Our team also works with philanthropies to help build strong partnerships.
FUNDRAISING STRATEGIES | BOARD DEVELOPMENT | COLLABORATION | TRANSITION
The Nonprofit Blog
Summertime in the Development office
Summertime is generally a slow period (if there is such a thing) for fundraising. Campaigns have wrapped up and the fundraising calendar year may be drawing to a close. There is no better time to consider some of the following critically important, yet often overlooked, development tasks.
1. Database clean up: Clean out duplicate records, delete or correct bad addresses, and enter relationship information (found on old cocktail napkins stuffed into your desk drawer). Call your Technical Support team and learn how to do a new analysis or report. Put your donors into "groups" so your fall appeal can be segmented and targeted for more personalization and better results.
2. Spiff up your website: Look at your website with a fresh set of eyes and ask others at your organization to do so as well. Consider: Who is visiting our website? What are they seeking? Is there a "call to action"? What is the goal of our website and what steps should we take to achieve it?
3. Call your major donors: Starting from the top end -- call your most loyal and generous supporters. Tell a specific story about something great that happened at your organization as a result of his/her gift. Invite the donor and his/her family to visit a program or event. Get together with your major donors for coffee and ask what is it that makes them support your organization so generously? (Golden Rule: If you want money, ask for advice.")
4. Professional Development: Sign up for a workshop, class or take one of the dozens of webinars online. Subscribe to the Chronicle of Philanthropy. Read a few books on Philanthropy and PhilanthropyNYU. Get together with your colleagues from other organizations for a game of donor poker (only kidding) or to brainstorm about what's working and share insights.
What else are you doing this summer to drive your fundraising initiatives to the next level?
Add a Comment
Archive By Date
- May (1)
- December (3)